Entering recovery for drug and alcohol addiction can be an overwhelming experience. There are many questions and often few answers. We’re here to help make the process as transparent and seamless as possible for you or your loved one.

Residential Extended Care

How long will I stay in the residential recovery program?

While each individual treatment plan is crafted to suit a resident’s needs, the average time spent in our residential recovery program is three to six months.

What is the difference between transitional living and residential extended care?
After completing a rehabilitation or detox program, clients will often come to us for Residential Extended Care. During residential treatment, residents will meet with their counselors, develop a treatment plan, set recovery goals, and ultimately prepare for independent living. After residential treatment, many of our residents enter GateHouse Transitional Living, where they can continue living in a safe, supportive environment with qualified, on-site house managers until they’re ready to live on their own.
What are the visitation policies at the extended care residences?
Visitors are allowed to visit the residences, but visits need to be pre-arranged.
What is the difference between a halfway house and transitional living?
Typically, individuals stay at halfway houses for approximately three months and don’t focus as much on community building, while our clients stay in transitional living for up to a year with a large focus on building a supportive, recovery-focused community.
Who will know about my treatment?
We keep all of our client information confidential. Only the people to whom you give consent will be given any information. Those with consent will receive only the information that is deemed necessary for them to continue care and support once you are discharged.
Will insurance cover my treatment services?

We work with most HMOs, PPOs, Managed Care Plans, and the Department of Human Services. Feel free to reach out and ask us about specifics!

How can I pay for my treatment services?
Clients are able to pay for treatment via insurance, scholarships, or cash.
What should I bring to Residential Extended Care and GateHouse Transitional Living?
When packing for an extended stay, please bring clothing, personal toiletries, and limited electronics.
What is the difference between a rehab center and your programs?
Our programs focus on creating a safe, warm, and supportive environment for our clients, while focusing on long-term recovery. We aim to give each client personal attention and craft treatment plans that work with their lifestyle in recovery. Drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers focus more on detoxification and short-term rehabilitative care.

GateHouse Transitional Living

Am I eligible for a scholarship?
Residents who come from an inpatient treatment setting and who have received medical assistance through Lancaster, Lebanon, Cumberland, Perry, Dauphin, York, or Adams counties are eligible for a scholarship.
What is the admission fee to move into GateHouse Transitional Living?

Upon residency, residents will pay a security deposit and two weeks’ rent, which varies by location.

How long can a resident stay at GateHouse Transitional Living?

There is no minimum length of stay required in our transitional housing. Residents may stay as long as it takes for them to establish stability in recovery and the means to live independently. Most residents stay between three months and one year.

What are the admission requirements?
Potential residents must have a desire to remain clean and sober, pass an initial drug screening, have employment or be willing to look for employment, and meet the financial obligations of residency.
What are the requirements for residency?
All residents are required to abstain from all alcohol and drugs, be involved in an outpatient drug and alcohol counseling program, attend at least five 12-step fellowship meetings per week, sustain employment, and attend weekly house meetings.
What happens if a resident relapses?
Residents who relapse forfeit their residency and will be offered treatment resources by a coordinator of The GateHouse.
What happens if I lose my job?
Residents cannot quit their job unless they have another job in place. Residents who are fired from their job will be given a strict two-week period to find employment.
Am I permitted to have a personal vehicle?
Residents are eligible to have a personal vehicle after 30 days of residency. Having a vehicle is a privilege and will be determined by the house manager. Clients who have successfully managed a vehicle during treatment may bring their car to the residence.
Am I permitted home passes?
Home passes are permitted and are dependent on the resident’s length of stay, personal progress, and financial responsibility.
Are visits allowed on-site?
Yes. Visits from family and sponsors are permitted in common areas of the house.
What is the curfew?

Curfew for all residents is 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and
12 a.m. Friday through Saturday.

What safety measures are in place?
Each location has a hard-wired fire monitoring system and fire escapes or emergency ladders on-site. All locations are compliant with municipal zoning standards, and each location has an appropriate number of residents, ensuring safe evacuation if necessary. The entrance to each property is restricted by electronic entrance codes, which are changed regularly to avoid re-entrance by past clients.
GateHouse Transitional Living is certified through the Pennsylvania Alliance of Recovery Residences and follows the NARR standards of safety and quality throughout all the recovery residences.